Tuesday, June 14, 2011

No worries

Rosie did not get into pre-school in Stage 2 of the recruitment process. I think that the principal and I have a different understanding of the phrase nie martw się (don’t worry).


When I asked about my Rosie in Stage 1 of recruitment, the principal replied nie martw się. I understood nie martw się as Rosie will get in - her sister attends the school already for heaven’s sake. The principal understood nie martw się as go away and leave me alone, you stupid parents.


When I asked about Rosie in Stage 2 of recruitment, the principal replied nie martw się. I understood nie martw się as Rosie will get in - there are 2 spots open for heaven’s sake and the principal has the final say. The principal understood nie martw się as bugger off, you stupid parents.


When the principal asked, one day before the class outing, if any parents could please, please, please come along as a chaperone (because they had one too few), I said nie martw się. I understood nie martw się as Don’t worry. We’ll take care of it. The principal understood nie martw się as Don’t worry. They’ll take care of it. And we did. Misiu showed up the next day bright and early and took the place of the absent teacher.


Hmm.


Pre-school, we have a problem.


Now that we are on the reserve list waiting for somebody to drop out from this pre-school and hoping that Rosie will be selected for that (so far non-existent) spot, I am really starting to worry.

5 comments:

Lois B said...

:(

Stardust said...

Looks like the principal has a strange comunications skills. Ask him/her maybe he/she speaks better english then polish, and then explain your point in a few 4-letters words. I mean seriously I hate people like this.

ucieczka said...

I support Stardust, principal could say "nic nie mogę poradzić" or something like that, to make your feel comfortable that she is really interested in you, and at the same time make no promise. I would understand "nie martw sie" the same as you did. This is a crazy topic with all of those preschools here in PL. To get child to the preschool you should be a single mother, no job, and live in one room with the child + a strange room-mate. Because when you are working, and you also are in marriage, and successfully you are living with your husband - then they think that you can afford the nanny.
Fingers crossed for a child that drops out. Hope dies last.

ania_2000 said...

maybe his "nie martw sie" meant bribery? strange.. I would definitely understood this "don't worry" like you were - hmm...

ds said...

Polish reality :(
anyway i would understand the same.