Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Walentynki

Nothing special going on at our house for St. Valentine’s Day. Come on, I forgot our wedding anniversary in December and called my mother on my sister’s birthday and vice versa. Got a lot on my plate, but I am wearing red lipstick in honor of the day.When I was a child, Valentine’s Day meant preparing cards for everyone in my class and also preparing a special shoe box/mail box where Valentines could be delivered to me. Then we had a little party with juice and cupcakes and opened our cards. I wonder if that’s what the kids still do for Valentine’s Day in the US?


My kids dressed up in red and pink as was requested by their teachers. I wonder what their Valentine’s Day celebration looks like today? I guess I will find out later.


I remember my first Valentine’s Day in Poland. It was back before Valentine’s Day was really celebrated over here. I got a card from Misiu. It was sweet. Misiu got a mountain of cards from the many teen-aged girls that he taught. One girl was brave and signed the card “Damn. I wish I was your lover.” Kind of brave for 16, don’t you think?


Happy Valentine’s Day

11 comments:

Kasia said...

LOL. Maybe it was just her favourite song :) And damn I was 16 when this song was on.

Kat said...

The kids in the U.S. (at least where we leave) celebrate just like you used to! Except we baked gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, so everyone can enjoy them :) We made origami cards for all of the classmates, with their names on them. We're a Polish family living in the U.S., by the way :) Happy Valentine's Day!

Kat said...

Or, crud, I really can spell ("live" not "leave")... ;)

Pieczyk said...

Thanks for reminding me of this song by Sophie B. Hawkins, Damn I wish I was your lover...

Lois B said...

Brave for 16 or brazen. How do you end up with the airplane geeks and Misiu gets professions of love?

Kasia said...

Yes, kids still do cards and it was a "designated candy day" at school. Even my friend, whose daughter is 15 months old, got a note from the daycare about the valentines for the little ones:)

M said...

Hi!!! Way to much candy here in the US!!! My daughter is in kindergarten and she got a lot of crap- sorry! And they had cookies that they decorated. We are polish-american family living in US.
Love your blog by the way!

Chris said...

Kasia - I think it may have been her favorite song and the only phrase in English that she knew. Now I've got a lot of students who've finally figured out how to use and pronounce "used to" thanks to Gotye's song "Somebody that I used to know". Whatever works.

Hi Kat - Our kids had a sweet-free Valentine's Day. They decorated cards for themselves (!) and had a little dance party in the gym. I'm waiting til tonight to hear how the Valentine's dance went for one of my pre-teen students ;)

Pieczyk - Good, it got the "Somebody that I used to know" out of your head ;)

Lois B - I don't know! I have had some pretty nice (and hot) students over the years but the only ones to profess their love for me were definitely pre-teen. Bleh.

Kasia - I heard from my friends in America that it still looks pretty much the same as when we were kids. Except as you confirmed that they are starting younger. There is also the American PC-ness that you have to give everyone the same - so that means cards for EVERYONE even if you are only 15 months old ;)

Hi M - Thanks for the compliment. Luckily at our pre-school, candy is strictly regulated. Kids can bring candy on their birthday and they discourage parents bringing cake. I brought heart-shaped pastries 2 years ago for V-day and the teachers weren't too happy about it. So this year, they got NOTHING! Happy Valentine's Day! Time to get ready for Donut Day.

Hanna said...

Sixteens are much braver these days. Blame the TV. :) Still great to know that your husband would pass in a "hot" teacher competition, right? :)

Chris said...

Misiu would like me to issue a correction ;) He says the student was 18 (not 16) and he was 26. I don't know what difference that makes but he seems to feel it is important information. Misiu also reports that a few lessons before, that girl had asked what "Damn..." meant.

Hanna - Yes, it is good to know that my hubby passed (and maybe still passes) as hot teacher. The next hottest teacher was the priest...

Kasia said...

Funny that you have mentioned Gotye. I just heard that song on Tuesday - it is a new song here. I have purchased it and listened to it probably 10 times today:)