Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What it means to get your shit together…

In search of a place to start my “getting my shit together” plan, I actually googled the phrase “get your shit together”. What I found is that the phrase “get your shit together” has a lot of meanings in the modern consciousness.

First of all, it means planning of your life and within that, your death. I’m definitely not a “wing it” (jakoś to będzie) kind of a person, so I am all over this and will be filling in the missing blanks in the next couple of months. Yes, I think it will take me a couple of months. I mean, I haven’t done it in the last 39 years and 10 months so I’ll need a little bit of time.

It involves many things such as (some of which I have already done, the bulk of which I have not):

Money: budgeting, reserves, debt, insurance

Will, living will, power of attorney, care of children

Info: insurance and bank documents, passwords, etc.

Personal: resolving conflicts, lose ends

Secondly, some sites define having your shit together as having an organized home and desk, having routines, getting things done. Included in that is having a plan of things you need to get done and a list of things you want to get done..and then getting them done. Easy peasy, isn’t it?

Thirdly, other sites define having your shit together as taking care of yourself and looking “together”. That includes a good diet, exercise and sleep regiment as well as all kinds of grooming and dressing and smiling and stuff. This may be the hardest for me to achieve. I mean I know how to tackle a pile of laundry, but not what to do with my hair.

I’d also like to add at this point some less “planny” kind of reflections about where I’ve been and where I’m going. We should always take time to count our blessings.

All of these tasks are difficult in different ways. It all breaks down to being organized. I need to make myself a master list, prioritize and get started.

1 comment:

Endasher said...

Appreciate this blog postt